Monday, February 07, 2005

smashing fashion

I went to a fashion show today... full of runways, celebrity sightings, and wacked out fashion.

I then realized, the couture industry is a hideous display of self. self promotion, self indulgence, self involvement, self disgust (which in some cases leads to self harm), and I don't want any part in it.

We consume fashion like the world is ending, and that is exactly why those selfish industries are making it so big. The average consumer feels like they can't live the rest of their life if not wearing the newest color, cut, and/or the hottest designer's style.

Don't take this article the wrong way...I am not bashing the designers themselves. I have much more than total respect for fashion designers. They are artists designing exquisite works of art from the most beautiful arrays of fabrics and materials. If I could only be so lucky .

It is the industry itself and the people that are attracted to that industry, the wearers, the reporters, the attitudes, the selfishness. It makes me sick to know the ugliness that hides beneath it all.

Don't get too caught up in the whirl wind of things in this business. Because it is not what is real.
--------
Okay okay, I know I got very morbid and cryptic towards the end... reading just the title, you would have expected something quite the opposite.

It was also that way. It was the way it was, exciting, beautiful, and glamorous. But how could I forget the lights, the cameras, the models, the hustle, the bustle, the b list celebrities (mya, dennis rodman, and that gay guy from that design show).
--------
It was a once in a lifetime event...for me. Enjoyable. And yet another difference dividing my best friendship.

No comments: